Changes to E/M Codes
CMS has changed the standards for medical coding and documentation. The E/M codes have undergone a significant amount of adjustments to ensure that practices streamline their administrative tasks. The specifics of the coding modifications are as follows:
Inpatient And Observation Care Services
- E/M codes 99217-99220 for Hospital Observation Services are being deleted.
- E/M codes 99221-99223, 99231-99239, and recommendations for hospital inpatient and observation care services have been revised.
- E/M codes 99241 and 99251 for consultations are deleted
- E/M codes 99242-99245, 99252-99255, and guidelines have been revised.
Emergency Department Services
- Emergency Department Services E/M codes and guidelines have been updated 99281–99285
Nursing Facility Services
- Deletion of E/M code 99318 for Nursing Facility Services
- Nursing Facility Services E/M codes 99304–99310, 99315–99316, and recommendations have been updated.
Home And Residence Services
- Elimination of the E/M codes for domiciliary, rest home (such as a boarder), or custodial care services 99324-99238, 99334-99337, 99339, and 99340
- Removal of E/M code 99343 for House or Residential Services
- House or residence services E/M codes 99341, 99342, 99345, 99347-99350 are being revised. and regulations
Prolonged Care Services
- Deletion of E/M codes 99354–99357 for Extended Services
- Guidelines for Extended Services E/M codes 99358, 99359, 99415, and 99416 have been updated.
- Guidelines and Longer Services E/M code 99417 revision
- Extended Services E/M Code 993X0 Setup and Guidelines
Outsourcing medical coding services to I-Conic Solutions will help to secure smooth reimbursements